Monday, October 09, 2006

Shoe Bugs come out of the closet

The shoe closet, that is. Check with Sherry/ Have Myelin for the beginning of the debate, and read the comments. This is one topic that hits home.

I had to respond. Me and my big mouth and big opinions. But I do have some experience worth sharing here. I just didn't start with it. The best I have to offer is recent experience.

My Blogsister, Karen of Scottsdale, has another facet of the discussion, in the comments. Like it or not, I have an opinion on that, too.

Two Words: Space Shoes

Way, way, way back in the 1970's I worked for an orthotics-prosthetics place run by a man and his son who were practically born to the business. Back then, only the Beautiful People would consider Space Shoes, because they had to be ordered through a doctor, with a prescription. I don't think that is the case anymore.

Google "space shoes.". They used to be very expensive and I would bet they are quite pricey still. Some people can actually go through their doctor and their insurance or MedicAid will pay much of it. It wouldn't hurt to ask.


When considering the cost, keep in mind that they will simply last forever. For me, fancy shoes always last until I am sick of looking at the outdated things, years and years. I don't wear them often enough, but I do keep and do wear them. Because my feet are such a problem, I spend enough to buy what fits exactly. Comfort doesn't exist in my feet. Dysaethesia does.

Caveat: Be sure to specify--and stress--that COSMESIS is very important to you. Otherwise you will get shoes that match your feet, with some companies. I would love to believe that they know better now, but it was quiet a sticking point back then. If you don't get what you want, send them back for reworking.

They won't be Nine West, but they will be adorable. And quite smart!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beh .. I'll stick with my boots. I've worn them (or a replacement pair) since college and they do me just fine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Right now I'm not much into shoes, but there will be a day when I have to have some new shoes so that information will come in handy. :-)

Miss Chris said...

Fortunately for me, shoes aren't an issue. However, I could never really wear the trendy high heeled ones anyway because I'm nearly 5'9" tall. I guess if I was used to those then I'd miss it.

Charles-A. Rovira said...

<sign&t;

I haven't been able to wear fashionable shoes for longer than I care to remember.

I've been wearing black Rebocks running shoes for years because they're about all I've found that look okay for the office while giving non-slip support.

My MS means that my feet always feel cold, and in winter I suppose they've got a point.

----

By the way, I have a podcast for MSers , by an MSer (me :-) at

http://www.MSBPodcast.com

Why not check it out and send me some feedback?

Charles *at* MSBPodcast.com