Sunday, July 27, 2008

The secret to surviving the summer.

Sleep, sleep, sleep! (Sorry. That's probably not much help for most of you.)

I work until midnight. Most of my coworkers go home to television or partying with friends, especially Fri. and Sat. I head home to 1/2 glass of warm milk and dulce de leche or 1/2 cup of creamy cottage cheese. Then straight to bed. (Wash and brush teeth, of course. Morning dairy-mouth tastes terrible!)

When I arise six or seven hours later, I do laundry, read the paper, and eat breakfast, all concurrently. If it is custody week, I take Ellie to the River for about 1 1/2 hour jaunt. If not, I clean/repair house or run errands. Then it is bed time again from 11:30 to 1:30. Get up, eat lunch, shower and off to work.

Weekend variation: Sat., same only late-morning, run errands; Sun., same, only church first. In the summer, the midday nap is a must; in the winter, not so much. The weekend afternoon is usually mine, and bedtime comes earlier 10 or 11pm.

Notice all the sleeping? Yeah, me, too. I get invites all the time for parties with coworkers. Very rarely attend. When I do, I am the master of the arrive late, leave early schtick.

Written out like this, it sounds like no fun, but actually I find it rewarding enough. After all, there were years when I couldn't do much more than sleep, work, and sleep some more.

pb
Little Pond

4 comments:

Denver Refashionista said...

6-7 hrs of sleep is a lot? I don't function well without at least 8 hrs and then I usually take a nap. I don't mind missing the social events but I must sleep.

BRAINCHEESE said...

If I had to choose between an ice cream cake at work or sleep? I'd choose SLEEP AT WORK! Of course, rarely is that ever an option...

Linda D. in Seattle

pb said...

Between running the house and working, I don't really have time to sleep like that.

So I try to recoup on weekends.

Sandy Hills Land Surveyors said...

Thoughtful blog, thanks for posting.