Friday, July 28, 2006

Better?

Too soon to tell. But.

But. They began repairs on the AC. That is to say that the building super is on vacation. This is actually a good thing, because the word is that the AC wouldn't be fixed by him; he would simply file a report that it can't be fixed without those parts they need. But.

My boss (yes, the one that went total jerk on me the other night) went over everyone's head and said I was playing the ADA card. The person in charge of the building super said he would see to it that it's fixed. That brought in our departmental boss, who's been stalled up at Central, doing Our Lady knows what. He used to be the building super, and apparently has some real chops. He cobbled a repair, just for little ol' you know who. It's not wonderful, it's still not real cool, but it's not hot and muggy any more. In fact the worst hot moments last night were courtesy of menopause.

And you can bet they will effect a complete repair. Been there, done that. It didn't happen like before because the Advertising Boss is now in charge of us. (This sort of nonsense cycles in and out every few years, with the change in regimes.) They always come to ask if I need any "accommodation." It never gets done, and I will point that fact out to them. It's been over ten years; they should have done something by now, and they simply haven't. Only now I am keeping score: should they come to me to ask, I have an errand list for them. We can start with bars around the toilet stalls; I will need them when I learn to self-catheterize.

I may have to go to Human Resources for that one: wouldn't pay to advertise the sordid details. I'm looking forward to that: maybe they will recognize the ADA card.

pb
Little Pond

3 comments:

mdmhvonpa said...

I really feel awful for you ... my company actually looks out for little old me. Maybe it's because I look like I could get mean if things get rough, but I like to think it's because they value my contributions.

Anonymous said...

I hope they will listen to you and do something real, not just say they will do something. Been there, done that, so many times in my life.

pb said...

I refuse to go on disability without a fight. That place laid me off the last time I took a vacation when I was ill. Right after I was diagnosed. Said they thought I would appreciate the extended vacation: NYS Employment sent me around on job interviews every other day during my little "vacation" and I must have looked a sight, with my cane, my limp and my loss of hearing and balance, not to mention the uncontrolled shakes!

If they try that little trick again, I will simply have to educate them: It's discrimination, pure and simple, and clear to anyone who knows the facts. Judges usually do, and so do juries.