Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Just got this missive... (A requiem)

Yesterday a notice arrived in an unsealed envelope from the CVMSA. It said, among other things:
On Friday July 7, 2006, Chemung Valley Multiple Sclerosis Association will close its office. Due to funding problems we are unable at this time to stay open. The day to day expenses of running a Non-Profit Agency have left us to this decision.
So we are not supported by the United Way. Apparently, fighting Multiple Sclerosis, and assisting its patients is not a worthy cause. I have heard that MS is an orphan disease, and it certainly feels that way right now. For years I have sent donations (to an organization that is supposed to help me!) and supported their raffles. All my UW donations have been specifically marked for the CVMSA, nothing else.

The United Way is dead to me now. Can't wait till they come knocking.

I'll just hand them a copy of the letter.

pb
Little Pond

3 comments:

Karen of Scottsdale said...

I think the United Way is a crock.

mdmhvonpa said...

Rats .. it flooded over there so they are fleeing. I prefer to give my donations DIRECTLY.

Miss Chris said...

I know how you feel. All the publicity goes to the diseases of the moment ie: breast cancer etc. I know there are other bad diseases but I feel like nobody thinks about us. Just because our disease isn't considered fatal, that doesn't mean we don't need help. Our disease is incurable and I think if we got more publicity, people would understand what we go through each day just to get through it.
By the way, I survived vacation and next time I think I'll take your advice.